Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Not a good day

Today was one of the bad days, I struggled to make it through the day and not give up half way through. In some ways it is easier the longer I work full time, in that I am not crying every day, but in some ways it is harder than ever. I feel like a wimp, after all lots of moms work full time and not just survive but thrive. I have days though where I feel like I am only barely surviving. I do have good days too, but that just adds to the feeling like I am on such a roller coaster. At least once a day I reach a point where I think “there is just no way I can juggle this anymore, I am done!” Then I push through that feeling and get over it, at least for the moment.
I think part of my problem is that I think through things by talking about them, but I don’t really feel like I can talk to many people about this, for obvious reasons I can’t talk to anyone connected to my workplace, I feel my friends that have made significant sacrifices to stay at home wouldn’t understand why I am working if it gives me this much stress, my husband is my best friend and agrees that it would be good for our family if I can stay at home at some point but just doesn’t get how desperate I feel at times-if it comes to that I don’t know why I feel so desperate either and have trouble understanding exactly what I am feeling. It helps just getting it out though, even if it is just on a blog that no one reads!
I don’t know what to do with all these feelings, more days than not I live through my day thinking about when I will get home and my “real” life will start, but on the other hand there are days when I get real pleasure and enjoyment out of the mental stimulation of working and feeling productive. Should I take these feelings of discontent as a sign that I should make real changes in my life? Is it God teaching me to be content with where I am and not want what I can’t have?
Don’t get me wrong, I like what I do and I am incredibly grateful for my job in an economy where so many people are out of work. I am thankful for a job that provides so well financially for my family and that gives me a chance to use my brain. So again, that is part of why I am on such a roller coaster! I alternate between feeling like I can’t go on like this without something snapping and feeling thankful and grateful for being in this job. On top of that is the joy and delight I get from my son, and the best time of my day is when I pick him up in the evenings.
I just feel like there is this seething well of emotion under the surface of my everyday life and sometimes I can keep it down and not let it interfere with my life and other days I feel overwhelmed. It usually cycles through, it will get worse and worse until I have a break down and then after lots of weeping or anger I can get back on a more even keel for a few days. I don’t like living like this, I don’t think it is biblical but I am not sure how to stop! Hopefully I am at the bottom of the cycle and will be back up again in a few days.
Over the Christmas holidays I have a few days off while my husband is working and I am planning a “staycation” for myself, where I just hang out with my baby and get things done around the house and pretend for 6 days that I am a stay at home mom. I hope that I can spend some time in prayer and reading the Bible and that I can find the spiritual rejuvenation that I so badly need. This is a good time of year to reflect on the things that are truly important in an eternal sense, and to gain some perspective about the things that are not important.

No comments: